Monday 16 July 2012

The Family Systems Theory


This theory is similar to the structural- functionalism theory they both view the family as a whole which made up of different parts and the whole is greater than some of its parts. The family is like a small community, where there is a father, mother and children which, is the traditional nuclear family. This is the ideal family type.  In all families there are problems. The problem is most times in the family and not outside.  This is problem at times arise  from how family members interact with each other. Growing up my brother and I always seems to be having trouble getting along with each other. When we do not see each other we get along quiet fine. For a while I stopped visiting my parents’ house and my parents could not understand why I was not coming to visit them. After a while my brother and I reconcile our differences and then I started visiting my parents again. This was showing that the problem was aroused from how my brother and interacted together.    



Every family adheres to a boundary or code of conduct and when one steps out of his boundary they are punished. I grew up in a strict Seventh Day Adventist home. Each Friday afternoon I was expected to be home to help prepare for Sabbath.  I could not attend anything taking place at school on Fridays. When my brother begun high school he did not adhere to those rules and I was angry because when I was his age I was not permitted to do those things, as they were supposedly were keeping me safe and helping me to prepare for my family someday. All the concerts and other lovely things I had to miss. This behaviour bought on resentment between my parents and I. This was because I thought to myself it was not fare as I could not do all those things and my brother could because he is a boy. This is a common problem that occurs in families where there is double binding or contradicting messages. Boys are able to do certain things and girls are not permitted to do those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment